Harvest Crust Pumpkin Pie
Harvest Crust Pumpkin Pie
Prep Time: 40 Minutes
Yields: 8 Servings
Ingredients:1 15 oz can of pumpkin
1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
1 8 oz cup of sour cream
¾ cup sugar
1tsp salt1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
(Could also substitute 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice for spices)
3 large eggs (2 for the pie, one for the egg wash)
1 package Betty Crocker® Every Day Gel Food Colors OR Neon Gel Food Color 4 packs
2 ready-to-bake rolled pie crusts
Instructions: For the Pie Crust:
1. Follow directions on rolled pie crust for warming and rolling. Use one (1) pie crust for deep dish pie pan; bring edges up to the edge of the pan with about a ¼” overlap for attaching the braid.
2. Roll the second pie crust on a clean, flat surface. Using a pizza cutter or knife, score the pie crust in long thin strips (about ¼” each).
3.In a shallow dish, express about 1/8 tsp of Betty Crocker® Gel Food Colors; Yellow, Green, Orange.
Hint: to make orange – use red (1 part) and yellow (2 or 3 parts) until you get the shade you like. Add 3 to 4 drops of water to each color. Using a pastry brush or artist brush (we used a child art brush), stir the water into the gel color until smooth. Paint onto 4 strips for each color.
4. Once strips are painted, lay a paper towel over them and smooth gently to remove excess color. This will make the strips easier to handle.
5. Pick up one strip of each color, lay the ends touching and gently pinch together. Braid. Pinching the bottom ends together. Continue with remaining colored braids until you have 4 sets of braids.
6. Using 1 large egg, whisk it in a small bowl. Using a clean paint brush or pastry brush, brush egg wash on both sides of each braid. Brush the ¼” of exposed pie crust of the formed shell in the pan. Attach the braids to the pie crust by gently pressing into the crust.
7.Cover braids with aluminum foil to keep colors bright. Remove foil during last 15 minutes of bake.
For the Leaves:
1. Using small cookie cutters cut out leaf shapes. Lay on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
2. Use prepared colors as for pie braid. Lightly brush leaf shapes with colors.
3. Bake on upper rack after reducing temperature to 350°F. Check after 10 minutes.
4. Allow to cool completely. Place on finished pie immediately before serving.
For the Pie Filling:
1. Separate egg yolks from whites. Put whites in a clean bowl and beat until stiff peaks (about 5 minutes).
2. Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg.
3. Lightly beat egg yolks. Add yolks, sour cream, pumpkin to dry mix. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Mix until smooth.
4. Pour into pie shell.
5. Bake in preheated 425°F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F. Bake 40-50 minutes until middle is just set. Hint: knife inserted into middle comes out clean.
6.Allow pie to sit on a cooling rack 2 hours before serving.